Sunday, January 17, 2010

Why Peter Bogdanovich Did Not Hit on Me

A couple of friends and I had a great time at the Wexner Center Saturday night. Not only did we get to see What's Up Doc? on a big screen, but Peter Bogdanovich (the director) was there. Bogdanovich made a few comments before the showing, then stayed after the movie for a Q&A. We enjoyed the movie and his comments were very entertaining. It was a good evening!

While standing in line for the ladies room afterward, I overheard some conversations that made me chuckle. The first part involved a young blond who said loudly, "I wish he would write a book. I'd love to read all of those stories." Another woman around my age politely pointed out that he had written several, some for sale in the on site store. (In his introductory comments he mentioned five of them by title.)

After a few more not so bright comments about getting his autograph, forgetting she had a program and handing him a plain white envelope, she proudly and loudly said something to the effect: He is quite the dirty old man.

After telling the story to my husband, it occurred to me that Peter Bogdanovich would never hit on me. Here are just a few reasons:
1) The only artificial thing about me is my hair color and it is not blond.
2) A footnote to #1 -- I've had no surgical enhancements. (The blond in the bathroom could not say that.)
3) I'm over 25.
4) I didn't jump up and down and cheer excessively for him from the second row. (Yes, I think he saw you -- nearly everyone saw you.) He was good, but seriously, I'm not convinced he deserved the standing ovation.
5) I would never say something like: It's cool that he is still rocking those glasses!
6) I did not ask for his autograph. He was more than accessible, which is very cool, I'm just not enamored with famous people just because they are famous. Now, if I had read one of his books and enjoyed it, I would have been thrilled to have him autograph it.

I have no idea how much of this woman's description of events are exaggerated. For all I know, Bogdanovich was a perfect gentleman and she made the whole thing up.

Whether it is true or not, I can tell you from experience -- things like that NEVER happen to nearly-50-year-old-women who are not artificially enhanced and are somewhat bright.

Thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment