Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Truth about Aging

A friend and I recently had a discussion about aging. We decided that when we turned 30 it was hard because we were no longer “in our 20s” so we were no longer youthful.

When we turned 40, it was a little bit harder than turning 30. In order to be proactive I did my first marathon right before my birthday and turned 40 feeling fit, thin and invincible. Turning 45 was actually harder for me.

In hindsight, those milestones seem insignificant compared to turning 50. Fifty signifies being more of an adult than I feel. Also, how on earth can I deny being middle aged any longer. Do I really think I’ll live past 100? I have probably lived at least half of my life.

Anyway, I am a little worried about reaching this next milestone. Though most of the time I feel just fine, other days I’m sent into a panic.

Should I do something momentous? Should I pretend to age gracefully? Should I just freak out?

Regardless, since I am a writer, I decided I’d like to track this year from 49 to 50. Hence this blog.

So I hope those of you who found this blog will enjoy reading about how a woman in denial approaches turning 50. And yes, the names will be changed to protect the innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment