Monday, December 14, 2009

I Like It, But It Doesn't Like Me


Years ago one of my favorite sales reps took me to a Mexican restaurant for lunch. It was the first time I noticed he was not eating the salsa. "I like it, but it doesn't like me," he said.

Being the young, naive, under-30 person that I was, I thought it was funny and just KNEW it would never happen to me -- I'd never have to give up any of my favorite foods.

I have since learned that any time I have thought something would never happen to me, it eventually does. In fact, I was in such denial I kept consuming stuff that didn't agree with me just because I was convinced I was too young for that!

After several headaches and stomach aches causing ruined parties and meals, I have decided to start acting like an adult. (I know, I know, it is really tough for me to behave like an adult. Sometimes I try.)

So in accepting my age, (Argh!) here is the list of foods I like that no longer like me:
  • Broccoli
  • Red wine (whimper)
  • Red onion
  • Frozen yogurt
  • Cheesecake
  • Eggs (Luckily deviled eggs are OK, but I can't eat them fried or scrambled.)
  • Cream cheese frosting
  • Too much chocolate (Sad, isn't it?)
  • Too much sugar
  • Gin (OK, I never liked gin, but it still gives me a stomach ache, and that alone is sad.)
  • A ridiculously small amount of beer, especially draft
  • Diet Coke straight out of the can
  • Doughnuts (Especially those Boston creams that are wonderful!)
Here's the funny part -- before I physically wrote this list, I thought there were only about four!

(Photo of red wine is courtesy of FreeFoto.com.)

No comments:

Post a Comment