Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Death of a Young Actress

Yesterday the news headlines focused on the death of Brittany Murphy. The actress was only 32 and her death was sudden and unexpected.

I didn't know Brittany Murphy and the truth is, I didn't even know who she was, though I've seen several of her movies. But still, her dying so unexpectedly touched me.

Because yesterday was the anniversary of my dad's funeral I was already a little too focused on death anyway. (I have a mental block about the actual day he died, but I always remember that his funeral was on the Winter Solstice.) He was 61, which seems younger and younger the older I get.

When someone as young as Brittany dies, it tends to bring my mortality to the surface. Like a lot of people, I think about what would happen if I died today. I know it would not generate huge headlines and only a handful of people would be affected in any meaningful way. But as I get older, the chance of my dying on any given day increases.

I don't really know how to end this, but what I think I'm trying to say is I hope for a long, happy, and healthy life for all of my friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment