Friday, December 18, 2009

The Annual Christmas Happy Hour

My employer hosted its annual holiday luncheon today. In addition to really good food and gifts from our employer, one of the perks is that the work day ends when the party is over. With an afternoon free, the custom of my some of my co-workers is we head out to Happy Hour.

When we first started this tradition 9 years or so ago, we would start drinking the moment the party was over (sometimes starting during the party) but never later than 2 in the afternoon. We had so much fun, we would sometimes be out until 2 in the morning!

Over the years, co-workers would come and go, but there has been a core group of 4 or 5 most years including a former co-worker who has kept in touch. Unfortunately, this one friend ended up having to work later than the rest of us. An indication that some of us are becoming somewhat more mature, rather than start drinking without him, we decided to do a short tour of the museum where the party was held. The funny thing is, we had fun!

Our Happy Hour officially started about 3, and despite the horrible service at the first bar, it was fun sitting in the window watching the activity on the street. (We were just missing the snow.) We ended up walking up the street to a different bar that had wi fi. The service was MUCH better though the bartender was a little overly friendly -- but that's OK.

Now this is the shocking part. One person left fairly early for a date and the rest of us left by 7:30! There was no sliding across the bar floor, no playing catch with pool balls, no crazy dart games, no "G" tricks, no last call rush to buy one more beverage.

Despite our best efforts, I think we are growing up!
__________

The advantage of wi fi is we could check out this blog while we enjoyed a brew or two.

Hey guys, thanks for giving me ideas for tonight's post. I had a lot more fun than this write up indicates. Oh, and I forgot to disclose that I didn't go home -- I met my husband out for a little while longer. I still wasn't out until 2. Of course I have an excuse, I'm getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment