Sunday, June 20, 2010

Psycho Turns 50

The movie Psycho turned 50 last week! It made me think of a story my parents would tell, but might really be one of those family "urban legends."

My Mom and Dad went to see the classic horror movie while Mom was pregnant with me. She was pretty frightened by the movie and was affected by it -- showers made her pretty nervous after that.

Later that year, Mom was past her due date and apparently Dad wanted me to hurry up and arrive. One night while Mom was showering, he crept into the bathroom, stood right in front of the shower curtain and, with his arm raised high, made stabbing motions at the shower curtain with a banana in his hand. Mom screamed bloody murder, fell to the floor of the bath tub and curled up in a fetal position, screaming and crying hysterically! From what I heard, it took quite a while for Mom to calm down, and no, I was not born soon after.

You know how they say that babies can be affected by things that happen in the womb? Well thanks to Mom and Dad, I'm not a fan of horror movies, I hate to have people scare me, and I hate to admit this, but I can't take a shower if I'm home alone. In fact, when I lived alone in my first apartment, I had to have a clear shower curtain so I could see if anyone broke it. (Sounds crazy now.)

So, thanks for seeing Psycho, Mom and Dad!
_______

The urban legend part of the story is that my Dad wanted to go on his annual deer hunting trip, but he couldn't because I was late. The logical me knows that Dad would not have left Mom home alone for a week with three sons under the age of 3 and a newborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment