Wednesday, April 13, 2011

All of that for Nothing

So, I spent the day Monday starving. The vile liquid was even worse the second day, especially since I had not had any food. And I needed to stay even closer to the bathroom than the day before. What a way to spend a day off!

I got to the appointment an hour early as requested. I had not had anything to drink for 2 hours before that. I laid on a gurney in a little hospital gown with an IV in one arm, a blood pressure cuff on the other and waited. There was no TV, I had nothing to read, I couldn't bring my iPod (no valuables), and the only thing separating me from everyone else was a little curtain. I could hear everything everyone else in the room said.

Luckily for me, I did not sleep well the night before and I did fall asleep a few times. Unluckily for me, I waited a VERY long time!

The nurses kept coming back to tell me it wouldn't be long. One told me the worst part was over and from here on out it was easy. I was hungry, I was thirsty, I was tired and I wanted to go home.

But the nurses were right. The previous 40 hours were the worst part. Once the doctor gave me the sedative, I immediately fell asleep and woke up with my husband next to the bed ready to take me home.

The doctor arrived to say everything is fine. They found absolutely nothing. I think it must have been the fact I was still partially sedated, because my first reaction was, "I went through all of that, and you found nothing!" I was ticked! I went more than 40 hours without any food more substantial than Jello! It definitely was not worth it.

Luckily I didn't say anything aloud, but when we were alone and I told my husband I was mad, he reminded me that finding nothing was good news. Oh, yeah -- that was the goal after all.

Let's just attribute that moment of rage to hunger pains and sedation. Let's attribute everything I repeated repeatedly and the other stupid stuff I said (for a couple of hours) to the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment