Thursday, March 10, 2011

Raindrop Memories

Yesterday while on hold, I was treated to the Muzak-version of the Burt Bacharch song, Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head. At first I laughed, trying to remember when the last time I heard that song was and surprised to discover I still know all of the words.

As I hummed along and pictured the bicycle scene from the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, I suddenly had an upset stomach. Then I had memories of a weird smell -- a very specific weird smell. "How do I know that smell and why would I associate it with this song," I wondered.

Just as the song ended, a light blue dental chair popped into my head. Ah ha!

Starting at the age of 9, I went to see my orthodontist once a month for 5 years. It was not a pleasant experience as he often jabbed my gums, tightened wires or caused pain in a variety of others ways. While sitting in the waiting room, I remember my stomach churning, anticipating the torture he was about to inflict -- all the while smelling those chemical smells and listening to 60s and 70s hits converted to Muzak.

Who knew that a simple song not heard for years could bring back such intense memories? Who knows what will happen if I hear a Muzak version of the Mamas and the Papas or even Michael Jackson!

Photo by D Sharon Pruitt.

No comments:

Post a Comment