Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Seaweed and Potstickers

The other day, in the middle of a sleet storm, I suddenly decided I needed seaweed and potstickers. The seaweed was because I read an article about seaweed helping to prevent the body from absorbing fat. (Up to 75% of fat consumed!)

The potstickers were because I really love potstickers and if I was going to get seaweed from an Asian market, I should get potstickers at the same time.

After roaming the market not being able to read more than half the packages I picked up, I ended up with a jar of shredded seaweed and a huge bag of potstickers.

While in line at the register, the woman behind me asked if I knew how to cook the potstickers. I said I was just going to read the package. She gave me very specific instructions for how to boil the dumplings three times before browning them in hot oil. When I asked her if I had picked a good brand she said she didn't know -- she always made hers from scratch. (Made me think of my great grandmother and her pierogies. Could not imagine her buying them -- ever!)

It felt a little weird being the only caucasion and not being able to read the language. But when the woman in line offered advice on how to cook the food, I felt better. It was no longer people looking at me just because I was different, she wanted to be sure I knew how to prepare the food correctly. I felt accepted!

So, not sure which item it is on my 50 new things list, but shopping in an Asian market is on it! And it probably will not be my last time there.
_______________

Followup: I ended up following the package directions for cooking the potstickers. They fell apart and stuck to the frying pan. I really should have listened.

I bought the totally wrong seaweed. I think the stuff I bought is for adding to recipes. It is fishy tasting and not what I expected to find. I ended up locating a toasted seaweed snack at Trader Joe's. Though it still has a slight fishy taste, it has a light toasted texture that is nice. The pieces are very thin and crunchy and are lightly salted. I think I could eventually get used to eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment