Saturday, February 6, 2010

Why do I Need Shelf Paper?


Did you ever feel like things are out of control? When that happens to me, I need to take something small and clean the living daylights out of it!

Sometimes it's a closet, sometimes dresser drawers, refrigerator, bathroom cupboards or a section of basement. It doesn't matter what I organize, it's the taking control that is key. (It can't be too big, like the entire garage -- just something small.)

Columbus was snowed in today and I felt the need for control. So I decided to go through our coffee mugs and get rid of the ones we don't use or that are just plain ugly. That spread to going through drinking glasses and the rest of the everyday dish cabinet. Before I knew it, I had both cabinets totally empty and I was replacing the shelf paper!

Which led me to my complaint. First, who decided that we need shelf paper, and who was the idiot who decided that it needed just enough adhesive to stick to itself, but not to stick to the shelf?

It also turns out that my cupboards and shelves are not the standard size. I finally got smart. Instead of trying to cut each section for both length and width (I could not find an Exacto knife), I cut 2 inches off the end of the entire roll with a carpet knife. I also got tape out to hold down the corners. Getting the shelf paper straight and without wrinkles doubled the amount of time I had planned to spend on this project!

So two cupboards are clean and I have gained some control. And it has finally stopped snowing. But I still have to wonder -- who was it that invented that horrible shelf paper!
__________

One of my clean cupboards with wrinkled, blue shelf paper. The blue wine glass used to have a match, but I broke it.

No comments:

Post a Comment