Monday, February 1, 2010

What's In a Number?

Does the number on the scale make a difference? Does it really matter what size you wear?

Intellectually, I know that a person's actual weight does not matter if you are healthy, active, have muscle tone and your clothes fit the way you want them to.

I also know that clothing manufacturers randomly assign a number -- or a size -- to a piece of fabric cut and sewn to fit specific dimensions. Women everywhere obsess about what the number on that piece of fabric is rather than on how well it fits or if it is even flattering. We've all seen people cram themselves into clothes that are way too small just so they can say they wear Size X.

Unfortunately, I'm not immune.

When my husband and I got married 25 years ago, I was way too thin. I look at those pictures now and think I looked rather anorexic. At a good 10 lbs too thin, I wore a size 6 most of the time. I don't recall ever wearing anything smaller than that.

Right now I weigh 20 lbs. more than when I got married, and I could still lose 10 more lbs. I'm not at my optimum fitness level nor weight and yet, I usually wear the same size I wore way back then.

Saturday my sister and I went jeans shopping. The pair that fit was a size 4! When I made a comment about them being mismarked, the dressing room staff person offered to find me another pair, just to be sure.

"No," I said excitedly. "If a 4 fits, I'm buying it!"

Like I said, the number doesn't matter -- but I'm still not immune!

No comments:

Post a Comment