Saturday, November 19, 2011

Feeling a Mother's Love

Several years ago, I was going through a rough time. I was feeling depressed and alone -- it felt as if there was nothing I could do that would make a difference and there was no end in sight.

One day during this dark time, I was sitting in a quiet room (I might have been editing, I don't remember) and deep within me, I felt as if someone was praying for me. I stopped what I was doing and tried to figure out what the feeling really was. As I tried to pin it down, I realized it was physical and both a good feeling and a feeling of calmness. I was hopeful that things could get better.

Later that day I decided it was just my imagination -- no one can feel that he/she is being prayed for, right?

As the week went on, I had the feeling several more times. I talked to my husband about it and he seemed to find it interesting, but put no credence in it.

After a few days I had to know -- who is praying for me? I thought about everyone I know, everyone who loves me and who could possibly pray hard enough I would feel it.

The phone call went like this:

"Hi, Mom. How are you?"

"Good. How are you?"

"Pretty good. I have a question that you might find weird. Are you praying for me?" There was complete silence on the other end of the line, so I repeated the question. "Mom, are you praying for me?"

After another pause she said, "Why do you ask?"

"I feel like someone is praying for me. I thought about everyone I know, and you are the only person I could think of who could pray hard enough that I would feel it."

She was quiet and I could tell she was thinking. "Yeah, it's me. I was so worried about you and I just wanted things to get better."

Whatever my mom said in those prayers, it helped. Things did get better.

So, as I am missing my mom already this pre-holiday season, I think about that one dark week, and how my mom loved me so much, I could FEEL her prayers. I'm feeling pretty lucky to have had her in my life!

I hope my kids are never in a situation where they feel depressed and alone, but if it does happen, I hope they too will feel my constant prayers that they will be able to get through it and will be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment